SKF's successful preventive and proactive maintenance of bearings can help secure your operations even in the toughest places on earth.
Imagine the conditions in the North Sea. They take their toll on all types of equipment. Bearings are no exception. At one of the major production platforms, failing motor bearings used to cause gas compressors to break down as often as every third month. Since the start in 1907, SKF has been making everything from lubrication systems to mechatronics. The SKF products & solutions can be found in almost anything that rolls or moves, from space shuttles to skateboards. In short, SKF is changing the world through the power of knowledge and engineering.
- Proactive Reliability Maintenance
- Going beyond predictive maintenance
- While traditional predictive maintenance programs only predict machine failures, an SKF's Proactive Reliability Maintenance service contract identifies the root cause of these failures and prescribes measures to prevent their reoccurrence.The process includes using asystematic method to benchmark asset productivity and implement corrective actions that will reduce total life cycle costs.
NoWear coated bearings
NoWear is a wear-resistant carbon coating that can be applied to the rolling elements and inner ring raceway(s) of a bearing (designation suffix L7DA) or only the rolling elements (designation suffix L5DA) (fig. 1). A physical vapour deposition process applies the wear-resistant carbon coating. Thickness of the coating ranges from 1 to 3 µm, depending on the size of the bearing. The hardness of the coating is 1 200 HV10. NoWear coated bearing surfaces retain the toughness of the underlying material while adopting the hardness, improved friction properties and wear-resistance of the coating. During the running-in period, minute amounts of the coating material are transferred to the counter-surfaces. This coating reduces friction and improves resistance against wear and smearing, even in bearings where only the rolling elements are coated.
- Long service life
- Withstand severe operating conditions
- Increased risk of smearing
- Insufficient lubricating film
- Sudden load variations
- Light loads
- Rapid speed changes
- Vibration and oscillations
Coated to prevent bearing failuresDesigned to overcome several common causes of bearing failures - light loads, high speeds - NoWear bearings and components are coated with a protective ceramic material. Featuring low friction, high hardness and an extremely low affinity for bonding to other surfaces, this advanced coating has proven highly effective in preventing failures caused by smearing in low-load and high-speed operating conditions.
For more information or assistance please contact us.